Bruna is the youngest Brazilian surfer to turn pro and competed in the World Championship Tour for several years before shifting her focus to become a global ambassador for the sport.
The One X Ten Interview:
1. Where are you from and where do you currently call home?
I’m from Brazil, but currently live in Hermosa Beach CA
2. How did you get started in your sport and when did you realize you wanted to pursue it professionally?
I started surfing when I was 10 years old. I just loved surfing, it became a passion the moment I started and things just sort of happened naturally. But I realized I could have a career when I was 15 and qualified for the Brazilian Professional Tour, that's when the sport became more serious for me.
3. What is the biggest setback you’ve suffered as an athlete?
I wouldn't call it a setback but there were a lot of challenges that came with the sport. I had to leave home and my family and learn to take care of myself when I was just a kid. It didn't seem like a big deal back then but now I look back and I realize how much I had to overcome to be where I am today. I'm so thankful for every opportunity and the support of my family, encouraging me to pursue my dreams. Surfing has ultimately shaped the person I am today.
4. Best piece of advice from women starting out in your sport?
Use your charm to get more waves. Just kidding. Surfing can still seem like a really masculine sport and not as attractive to women, but if you are passionate about it don't let yourself get caught up in any sort of stereotype or mental blocks. My dad used to always tell me “Do it because you love it” whenever I left for trips and competitions and that's the best piece of advice for any woman to follow no matter the circumstances.
5. What’s the biggest misconception people have about being a female athlete?
That we should be or never will be as good as man athletes.
6. Whom in your sport do you admire the most and why?
Stephanie Gilmore & Lisa Andersen - they are both so graceful and effortlessly talented.
7. What’s in your gym/workout bag?
Yoga mat & a stainless steel bottle with water.
Coffee first thing in the morning. I like to mix up what I eat in the morning depending on how the day will go. Sometimes protein shakes, eggs or pancakes on special occasions, haha.
9. Favorite workout or workout tip?
I’ve been super into MyYogaWorks, which is yoga on the go, so you can get a class anywhere, anytime, it's great. And I love a heavier workout every once in a while just to keep the cardio going.
10. We define “The Wonder” as the state of reaching the truly extraordinary—the achievements that most people, including you at one point, could not fathom. What is your Wonder and what has it taken—or what will it take—to reach it?
My Wonder is to be able to do what I love and call it a job. I never imagined my love for surfing would bring so much to my life - traveling the Globe, my closest friends, engaged to the love of my life, and so many possibilities still ahead of me. Life is better when you embrace the unexpected.